Re: Win95 settings solved?

On 7 Aug 99, at 13:08, Dorothy Day wrote:

> You probably have a separate autoexec.dos and config.dos pair in your root
> directory, with the settings used when you boot to DOS. Win9x does a
> sleight of hand and either 1) backs up the Windows autoexec.bat and
> config.sys and copies the DOS versions over, or 2) just uses the DOS files
> directly (Win98 may do the latter--I'm not sure).

OK, here's the lowdown on Win95 and startup files.

AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are used when booting to Windows
or to Win95 DOS. The *.DOS files are used when booting to a previous
version of DOS. (Assuming you have it) Press F8 when "Starting
Windows 95..." appears to get the boot menu.

If you want a specific setup for a DOS mode (not a DOS box) program,
then go into the PIF file (Alt-Enter on the file in Explorer), Click on the
"Program" tab, then on the "Advanced" button. Check the check box
for DOS Mode and it lets you fill in your own AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS for that program's DOS session. Of course when you do
that, you're not in Windows anymore.

-Robert Orndorff
Richmond, VA

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/orndorff