WIN genealogy

Y'all,

Patricia suggested that Windows 2000 may be the best alternative, within
the Windows family. As I understand it, the genealogy is: win3, NT3,
NT4, NT5 (= w2k) form one line; whereas win 95, 98, and XP form a
separate line.

I upgraded from Win 3.11 to NT4 to NT5; I missed the 95/98/XP line
altogether. NT5 is markedly more stable than NT4 was. The main problem
with NT4 was that you had to sort out IRQ conflicts manually; NT5 does
that automatically, and so far faultlessly. I have found Xy3+ to run
well in NT5 (both tower and laptop). I have had no trouble getting Xy3+
fonts to display well and legibly in NT5, in either full screen or
windowed mode. I gather from forum notes that getting the display right
is somewhat tricky under XP.