replacing foreign characters

Cutting & pasting from the web I sometimes get foreign character forms
instead of hyphens, quotation marks, etc. I figure I should be able to do
a cleanup search&replace by simple cha command, if I can figure out how to
copy the offending character into the command line. Just highlighting,
moving into the command line, and hitting Control-C doesn't work. It just
duplicates the original.Couldn't find anything in my XYWRite for Windows
Reference Guide.

So IS there a simple way to capture the offending foreign character by
highlighting, and pasting it into the right place in a CHA sequence?

            Ted Stannard in Phnom Penh

=====
Prof.R.E.Stannard Jr., director, April-Sept 2001  ph: 018-880-880
The Cambodia Journalism Workshop at Royal University of Phnom Penh
em:  restannardjr@xxxxxxxx  or  stannard@xxxxxxxx
mail: Japan Relief For Cambodia, P.O.Box 27, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
USA: 712 Highland Dr, Bellingham, WA98225-6412. ph: (360) 392-0712