Re: XyWrite in Ubuntu Linux

Peregrine wrote:
>>As I read through the XYWWWEB documentation, I see occasional
>>references to functions that work in Win 3.x or OS/2 but don't work
>>in later Windows variants.
Huh? Such as? I use U2 all the time under Win98SE, and under W2K at the office. There WERE one or two routines that needed XyShell, and no one could get that to work under Win 9x, but I think Robert ported all of them to run without XyShell.

>>those who lament the absence of DOS under XP and Vista,<<
Real DOS doesn't exist in W2K or XP, but both have (and apparently even Vista has) a Virtual DOS Machine (VDM). The only problem with it is that when running in windowed, as opposed to full screen mode, Xy (and indeed any DOS app, even the command line console) can suffer from slow and jerky keyboard-screen synchronization.
Apologies for mucking up the threads. I finally got my Linux partition
online, logged on to my email account to test, and then (because it's
set up to automatically download) had to save my files as text.
Apparently Linux and Windows versions of Tbird cannot use one mailbox
on one's own machine, even on a shared drive (or if they can I haven't
figured out how yet).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx