Re: U2 version 119

Robert Holmgren wrote:

I'd now like you to send me your "XY4.KBD" file.

Done, separately.

"DOS Window on the Desktop" you ought to make a Shortcut for one, instead of having to
poke around in the deeply-buried Accessories folder (right-click on an empty
area of the Desktop ==> New ==> Shortcut ==> type "CMD.EXE" ==> Next ==> type
"DOS Window" ==> Finish ==> Voila!).

XP doesn't hide the command prompt as deeply in Start as 98 did,
but I followed your advice anyway.

I can't imagine working without one. I
always have at least one DOS Window, and often 3 or 4 different DOS Windows,
open on the Desktop.

What do you use them for? I don't need to get to a DOS prompt too
often (or maybe I do and I just don't know it?)

Your high memory usage is due mainly to loading SAVEGET.SGT in STARTUP.INT. Do
you actually *use* any of these programs in SAVEGET.SGT?

I never even opened SAVEGET.SGT before, don't recognize anything
in it and can't explain how any of it got there. Could it have been there when I bought it? It's dated Nov. 12, 1993.

My recollection is
that the functions that would trigger these programs aren't even included in
the factory-issue KBDfile (XY4.KBD) that you are using -- unless you've tweaked
it. In Xy3, these functions (@0, @1, @2, ... @C, @D, @F...) were assigned to
keystrokes Alt-0, Alt-1, Alt-2, Alt-3, Alt-4, Alt-5, Alt-6, Alt-7, Alt-C,
Alt-D, Alt-F, Alt-H, Alt-K, Alt-M, Alt-Q, Alt-R, Alt-S, Alt-T, and Alt-X. Do
you ever use these???

Just Alt-H (Help) and Alt-M (forMat), and then only occasionally
to poke around. I can't remember the last time I used them. The rest of the Alt key combinations you mention just bring up the list of those drop-down menu items at the top of the screen, but don't drop anything down.

If you *do* use these, then I will show you how to enable
them without using upany permanent memory at all.
 If you *don't* use them, then please, ASAP, CAll
STARTUP.INT and comment out the line that says "BX LDSGT C:\XY4\SAVEGET.SGT Q2
" -- you "comment out" a line (disable it) by putting ";*;" at the
beginning of
that line, so that it now reads:
;*;BX LDSGT C:\XY4\SAVEGET.SGT Q2 ;*;
SAve the file! Relaunch XyWrite. Command:
 VA/NV $M 6
What number does it reply now?

Done. Va/nv $m 6 reports 2 (two)!
Alt-H and Alt-M still work. Do you have to show me "how to enable them without using up any permanent memory at all," or can we leave
well enough alone?

Also in STARTUP.INT:
On the line that says 'BX d wa="18"Q2 ', remove the quotation marks around "18".
Done. Curious, though: the top line of startup.int is wa=180, and the one further down that you just had me remove the quote marks from says wa=18.

Do you actually use a HYPhenation dictionary? I don't. Consider commenting
out the line that says "BX LOAD C:\XY4\DICT.HYPQ2 ;*;".
If I ever get around to printing directly from Xy again, I may need the HYP dict.

Do you need to load XY4.HLP? I don't. (If you do need it, then load it
manually. Once a year, maybe less...) Consider commenting out "BX LOAD
C:\XY4\XY4.HLPQ2 ;*;".
Ummm, does XY4.HLP have anything to do with those drop-down menus mentioned above? I still may need some of them. Too hungry now to remember why.

You certainly don't need the line that says "BC default sl=25,sw=80" -- comment
it out (or just erase it). You're already setting these two defaults in
SETTINGS.DFL (previously loaded in STARTUP.INT), so there's no reason to repeat
them here.

Commented out.

Now, believe it or not, after all this, STore still gets me the verification question which, when answered Y, takes me to a jiggly broken cursor on a blank blue screen that I can escape only by retreating to windows and closing the entire XY session entirely from there. Oh, damn, I just discovered it doesn't always happen that way. Seems to depend on what file I call and/or what directory I call it from.
You would not want me to continue experimenting, in order to make
a complete report, without food.
Seriously, you wouldn't.

Judith

Robert Holmgren