RE: Bill Gates car

Holmgren said:
Once you get a handle on them, really struggle with them, 99% of your
troubles are overcome -- and that includes Win9x, of course (and most
programs,
too: ignorance is the biggest problem).
This is certainly true of Linux, which I use at home. It's outstanding,
but at this point in its development you have to be committed to really
digging for information about some things (This is changing, but not
quickly enough). Once you do manage to learn how to solve your particular
problem, you generally find it to be rather simple to get things done.
The crucial barrier is simply knowing how. Mailing lists help, though,
and once you overcome the knowledge hurdle . . . watch out! (By contrast,
just today, I've GPF'd in Windows FOUR TIMES -- none requiring system
reboot, but all requiring application reboot, which is nearly as bad.
Yuck. And it's not even lunchtime yet.)

Holmgren said:
The issue here is political, not technical
-- specifically, one of collaboration at worst, tacit acquiescence at
best. In my
opinion... I don't want to fan these flames, though. Nobody here cares
what I
think about it, and vice versa.
Collaboration with one who wishes to subjugate everything to his or her
(or its) "unkind will" is not a course I can justify taking. Which is why
I've never paid a penny to Gates & Co. -- and God willing, never will.
(Linux has the same aim of "world domination", but the whole point is to
let everyone have the right to use, modify, redistribute, and sell the
OS. No "subjugation" is even possible, really. It's not for nothing that
one of the leading organizations is called "Software in the Public
Interest" . What a
contrast.)

shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx