Re: xywrite and xml

Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Sun, 1
> Jun 2003 12:02:28 -0400
>
> > Why are there MDNMs in a file at all? In XyW4, additive modes
> > are the default;
>
> Actually, the opposite is true: the default MoDe behavior is non-
> additive. For example, if you DeFine some NorMal text and issue
> func M9 or command MD IT, you'll get ≪MDIT≫text≪MDNM≫. Only the
> specific command MD +IT produces ≪MD+IT≫text≪MD-IT≫. So, unless
> the user has gone to lengths to work around this default behavior
> (by customizing the KBD file, etc.), even a Xy4 or XyWin file is
> likely to have ≪MDNM≫'s. A generic Xy <==> markup "conversion"
> routine with any hope of working out of the box will have to come to
> grips with that.

Right! Thanks for pointing this out. To be honest with you, I never
bother to use anything but  . . .  in 4.0x for dos anyhow.

> (Not that anything more than a very circumscribed
> "conversion" is possible -- there's a fundamental mismatch between
> markup language and a page layout system such as Xy's, all the more
> so when you get into the more aggressively "meta" flavors like XHTML
> and XML -- but that's another issue.)

Yes, another matter. And for another time. But for now, let me just
caution that if anyone using my routine expects to get something that
will run through a parser, well think again. There is a fundamental
mismatch, and more work must be done before you can even think about
parsing.

> --
> Carl Distefano
> cld@xxxxxxxx
> http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)