Re: XyWrite and XML

Carl wrote, "if you DeFine some NorMal text and issue
func M9 or command MD IT, you'll get ≪MDIT≫text≪MDNM≫. "
Well, sure, but who writes that way? (Of course, the great thing about Xy
is the options it gives users to work the way that seems best to them,
but...) When I'm writing (and even when I'm editing something someone
else has written) I italicize by hitting CTRL-I, and then CTRL-I again at
the end of the itals (which is what one also does in--ugh--Word, and
partly what one does in WordIMPerfect, which means I don't have to
remember three different ways of doing something that common). And THAT
procedure generates ≪MD+IT≫ and ≪MD-IT≫. Right out of the box with
the default, original keyboard; cf. the Command Reference Guide, 4-172:
"Keyboard shortcuts for additive modes. The additive modes are assigned
to the following keys:" and then the list of CTRL I, B, U, and the + and
- keys on the keypad (for super- and subscript). I don't recall if you
could do that in Xy III, but I've certainly been doing it that way since
4 came out. After all, it's far fewer keystrokes than F3, F3, F5, Func
M9, much less than F3, F3, F5 and typing mdit and hitting Enter or F9.
	Another advantage of additive modes is the ability to manage bold (say
for headings) and itals (for a foreign word or a book, film, or opera
title within a heading) separately.
Patricia