StarOffice -Reply

I downloaded and installed StarOffice yesterday.

Some initial impressions: its very complete, but the screen is full of tiny little
icons and pictures and stuff that make it difficult to learn. Its also rather
slow on my home PC (486 DX/2 50 MHz). It also doesn't have a lot of
import filters: It only lists plain text, Word for Windows, and a few other file
types. No import filters for XyWrite (no big surprise), but also none for
Word Perfect (which I need, since our office standard is WP).

One weird thing: when you use a drop-down list from the menu bar, the little
explanations of what the menu items do are in a variety of languages!!!! On
the copy I got, the various options under "File" were in Italian, German, and
English! Go figure!

I've also read a wide variety of reactions to it on the 'net. Some people like
it, others found it full of bugs and errors, and trashed it.

Steve

>>> Harmon Seaver  08/05/96 09:34am >>>
The new StarOffice 3.1 demo in English for OS/2 is now available at
ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/os2/demos/ and the Linux version, also in English,
is available at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/staroffice/
  Looks pretty neat, very customizable keyboard, plus macros. The OS/2
(and other OS) version is only a demo good until 10/31/96, while the
Linux version is free, still beta, but they say the full version will be
free also.
 The OS/2 version comes in many different languages, about 7 I think,
soon to include Russian. You want the version with "us" in the file
titles. Ten files, but you don't have to put them on floppys, just unzip
all into the same temp directory and type setup in a OS/2 window.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you