Re: XyWrite 4.018 on abandonware website

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

Martin J. Osborne wrote:
... which says "making it a favourite among typesetters who need to convert various formats to LaTeX". I thought I was the only person in the world who used it for that purpose. Are there really others?
That's something I should like to investigate. But the one time I tried to find LaTex for Windows, the site said something like "not available now. Try later."
There are several implementations of TeX (and hence LaTeX, which is a set of macros for TeX). For Windows, the best is MiKTeX http://www.miktex.org/ The basic structure of a LaTeX document is: \documentclass{article} \begin{document} \section{Introduction}\label{s:intro} This article is very short. \section{Model} As mentioned in Section~\ref{s:intro}, this article is very short. \end{document} The appearance of the heading "Introduction" is determined by the style file "article", the argument of \documentclass. (You create the document, then process it with TeX, which produces beautifully typeset output. In contrast to a word processor, for example, TeX optimizes line breaks within each paragraph rather than line by line.) It's far from WYSIWYG, but you have full control over all aspects of layout. Martin -- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne +1 416-978-5094