re HP5 driver

"I'm trying to launch my first-born into college, a seemingly Mac-dominated
world."

Andrew: College dorms and the graphics industry. Let the kid enjoy the fun
while the real world still is distant.

"In high school, however, he was weaned on my customized version of XyWrite,"

... possibly the only xyUser under the age of 40 who's not a reporter.

"hence the hybrid machine. Anyway, I've bought him his own set of Xy
distribution disks for the Power PC. The initialization program bombed out,"

Soon after I got my 386, when 486 prices still were astronomical, I decided
that my next machine would be RISC--after the pioneers had ironed out the
inevitable kinks. My own back has enough arrows stuck in it. I hand it to you
dudes out there on the bleeding edge. It can't be easy.

"requiring us to force feed the cat. But that's another story."

You're breaking my heart.  Now let me tell you about the new AdobePS3 win3
drivers (yes, for MPs--cost: from Adobe $25, from HP dl time+$0). Fave tip
from the Adobe README's troubleshooting section--problem and solution:

"Watermarks are enabled using the Forms capability in all Adobe PostScript
Level 2 printers and will not print if sent to a PostScript Level 1 printer.

"Workaround: Send jobs specifying watermarks to a PostScript Level 2
printer." 	--Annie

========================= annie fisher  nyc