Re: Xy as database handler?

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Being renewedly impressed with the extraction possibilities of things of the form: , I'm considering using Xy to do primitive database operations--probably using commas as field separators, and as record separators.
But to do this, I'd have to have some nifty, economical way to change
the contents of a field. All I can think of, however, is a clunky DL
(define line) and series of SE/S /,/ followed by more defines.

Is there a better way?
If you want to use XyWrite for databaselike operations, I'd suggest using some sort of markup to label your fields. I work with SGML text files, and the tagging allows me to use XyWrite to find an individual record (short article) that starts with "A" without knowing which of the 11 A files the record is located in and to run databaselike operations (find all articles that are biographies, and list their titles or copy the entire text). I've used XyWrite to massage databases and databaselike tables and almost always add markup to avoid counting commas and diminish the likelihood that I'll work on the wrong field. Something like this, with as a field separator and two as record separators:

If the field can contain a , I use a closing tag () to mark the end of the field. It's easy enough to add the tags when setting up the "database" using a CSV file or strip them out to export a CSV file.

Paul Lagasse