Xy And Warp

 Andrew: I had some good defragmentation runs with Norton's SPEEDISK, but
several runs resulted in cross-linked FAT entries - so subsequently I've stayed
away. However, I know that SPEEDISK has repeatedly been mentioned as
OS/2-reliable, so . . . I dunno, maybe I have an early version(??). As I
understand it, the rub is that there are a couple of locations in the FAT table
entry for each file that are unused in DOS, but which OS/2 uses to point to the
extended attributes (HPFS info in EA DATA. SF) of files. The defragger has to
leave these bytes alone. Older DOS defraggers aren't "aware" of this
consideration.

 I too run my defragger from DOS (booted off an A: diskette), but before doing
so there is some important housekeeping. I first boot OS/2 off an A: disk,
created with BOOTOS2.CMD (available on Hobbes, or at OS/2 Shareware BBS, or
lotsa places). Then:
 ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\*.* /S   <<