Re: DOS printers

Any printer that runs or emulates HP's PCL (page control language) should be able to deal with XyWrite's DOS printer drivers.
Yes. I realize now that what Norman is talking about is so-called "Windows
Printers" -- these are printers that have no built-in rasterizing software,
to economize. The print is rasterized by Windows, then sent as a bitmap to
the printer. For that kind of printer you indeed must have Windows. But
that is only the cheapest kind of printer. "Host-based" is another word for
this kind of controller-less printer. In sum: _any_ kind of non-host-based
printer will work with XyWrite DOS, and the best bet is Postscript for a
variety of reasons.
Tim, regarding the resolution setting, can't you set the printer to
override what the printer driver gives you?
Admittedly it is all pretty complicated, and I know very little about it.
Should we be hunting around for a DOS printer guru, I wonder?