Re: Connectix | VPC

On Feb. 12, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> Concurrently running OSes sound just great, but any prospective user should
> carefully examine issues like hardware access (printing, sound, etc in the
> guest OS), and also have lots and lots of RAM to run all this stuff. Even in
> the best of environments -- say a 2Ghz CPU, 512Mb RAM, and plenty of disk space
> -- speed will still be noticeably reduced. And even then, protection schemes
> for certain software may not allow it to be run within the guest space -- the
> OED v3 is one such program. If I were contemplating this (and I do, down the
> line, because I'm tired of dual booting), I'd spend a _lot_ of time reading
> user comment on DejaNews before making specific decisions.

Leaving aside the technical considerations for the moment, and since probably very
few of you happen to monitor the VOICE List [VOICE is an OS/2 educational /
promotional group], I thought this recent posting may be of some interest. Of
course, MS can likely make some $$ with this over the short run, should they feel
inclined to so so. But, is it just my overly cynical nature that prompts the
feeling this is a classical "Buy It So We Can Bury It" manuever ?

Jordan