Re: connectix

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:17:27 -0500
From: "Robert Holmgren"

> Concurrently running OSes sound just great, but any prospective
> user should carefully examine issues like hardware access
> (printing, sound, etc in the guest OS), and also have lots and lots
> of RAM to run all this stuff. Even in the best of environments --
> say a 2Ghz CPU, 512Mb RAM, and plenty of disk space -- speed will
> still be noticeably reduced. And even then, protection schemes for
> certain software may not allow it to be run within the guest space --
> the OED v3 is one such program. If I were contemplating this (and I
> do, down the line, because I'm tired of dual booting), I'd spend a
> _lot_ of time reading user comment on DejaNews before making specific
> decisions.

Yes -- all down the line.

Almost every Linux user begins by dual booting, & all instructions
(that I've seen or heard about) for installing Linux assume you're
starting from Windows.

(This is as good a place as any to answer the question about which OS
comes first on the HD. Linux doesn't care; Windows insists on being
No. 1. For details, see any distro's discussion of partitioning.)

For most users dual booting is the easiest way to _begin_. If like
Robert you tire of toggling, well, take it from there. But I don't
think you'll do much toggling until you're reasonably familiar with
Linux, whereupon you may compare Connectix, WINE, DOSemu, VMWare,
CodeWeavers . . . . The list is long.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle