Re: Spooling

At 2/5/2004 06:58 AM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
To turn off the spooler, you might try this command in DOS:
 net stop "Print Spooler"
To restart the spooler:
 net start "Print Spooler"

These are commonly used "on the fly" when people have spooler malfunctions; if
you use them together, they have the effect of resetting the spooler service.
They work in NT; whether they work in 9x, I don't know (though I'd like to know
-- I wager they don't, but it's certainly worth a try).
It was, thank you. I get, "the service name was invalid." I tried various
iterations -- with quotation marks and without. In W98 it seems it's not a
valid option. When I "net stop /?" I'm told the valid options are: basic
[stops the basic redirector]; nwredir [stops the novell compatible
redirector; [workstation] stops the default redirector; [netbeui] stops the
new bios interface; [nwlink] stops IPX/SPX compatible interface; and [/yes]
carries out new stop command without first promting you to provide
information or confirm actions.
With bi-directional disabled in the printer dialog and with a new IEEE 1284
C cable (still have not figured out the difference between a B cable and a
C cable connection) printing is improved quite a bit.

Michael Norman