Re: ANSI vs ASCII

Reply to note from Peregrine@xxxxxxxx Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:01:59 EST

-> Does anyone have an older version of the U2 available to send
-> me? The current one runs great on the Pentium but lags
-> terribly on my 286 (go figure!), for reasons Carl has detailed
-> here before. Since nobody else in the known universe uses a
-> 286 for anything but a paperweight, I don't expect much
-> support or sympathy. But maybe here, where we appreciate that
-> XyWrite was still a great program when it ran on an 8086 ... I
-> think the changes that slowed me down were made a couple of
-> revisions back, like version 95? Thanks in advance for any
-> help offered!

Jeff:

There's only one part of the reconfigured Jumbo U2 that might take a
performance hit on a 286, and that's the HELP facility. The
routines themselves should run as fast or faster, because, starting
with version 085, the U2 file itself shrank to almost half the size
once the Help material was moved into XYWWWEB.INF. So I strongly
suggest you load the latest version of U2 on your 286. If the
automated HELP is too slow, you can always open XYWWWEB.INF in
eXPanded view and SEarch manually for the information you need.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx