miscellaneous

from Morris,

 Q2 in Xy3 indicates suspend spelling correcting. In Xy4 it seems to have
the additional function of executing with BX. A strange anomaly or is it a
function that can be used both with the spelling command and when executing
without going to the command line.

 Carl's U2 program Bc2BX uses ascii equivalents for the embedded functions
of BX and Q2. Is Q2 the same as in XY3: 255 130 127, and what are those for
BX.

 I am using the following programs written by Herbert Tyson in XyWrite
Revealed successfully in XY4 though I have not changed the BC and XC
functions.
 Extend.pm enables the extension or reduction of defined text by moving the
cursor accordingly and pressing the assigned key.

 Funcc.pm permits the performance of anyone of the functions in a window
opened with text. When you press the key, it asks you which two keys you
wish to press.

 Pfunc.pm embeds a function into a program. Here again it asks you what two
letters you wish to press. Very useful when writing programs.

 Savesess.pm saves a session even when more than one window is used. Herbert
Tyson's version did not work until I added the NX function in one part of
the program. It saves the session but does not close the windows. This has
to be done manually, but I imagine there must simply way to do so from the
array of Xy4 functions and commands that can be added to this program.

 Getsess.pm will restore the saved session.
 Tim Baer has of course, informed us that saving a session and restoring is
already contained in Xy4.

 I am attaching all these programs so they can be used in either Xy3 or 4.
 As I have not investigated the entire Xywwweb.u2 file I do not know if it
contain programs that can do the same as the above.

 I agree with Rene, Jay and company that you must do what you think works
for you. For inspiration, guzzle beer, wine, brandy, vodka, gin or mugs of
coffee, but I suggest that if a little is fine I am sure a lot will produce
even better results. But Rene lives in the land of the Rising Sun where Zen
Monasteries are plentiful, so there is an alternative for him to do Zen
Meditation to exhilarate his thinking. There is an interesting Zen saying or
koan, "no matter how much you polish a stone, it will not shine." Their
explanation of this if a person is not ready for enlightenment, there is
nothing that one can do

 I have not done too badly on plain water, headstands and deep breathing at
a age when I am regarded as being over the hill. It is the finest way to
start the day. In this period of my dotageness, I have retyped every program
written by Herb Tyson and I have also written numerous programs but as I am
not applying for a position, I will not give a full resume

 One of these programs marks every wrongly spelt word and word doubles,
Thomas Hawley's program can well do with this feature as his program only
compiles a file of wrongly spelt words but leaves the original file
untouched.

 A true meaning of quackery is a person who has no personal knowledge of a
subject but will venture an opinion. It is also a person who dismiss actual
proof given to him that he is wrong. In short a person who does not have an
inquiring mind.

 But when you do headstands you will be in good company. This is what Lewis
Carroll wrote in Alice in Wonderland.

 "You are old, Father William," the young man said,
 "And your hair has become very white;
 And yet you incessantly stand on your head -
 Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

 "In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
 "I feared it might injure the brain;
 But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
 Why, I do it again and again."

 You can also infer from this that one who stands on his head cannot have
any brains, and one should take no notice what he says or does. Therefore,
ignore everything that is written in this e-mail. And this verse from Alice
in Wonderland will surely put me in my place.

 "I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
 Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
 Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
 Be off, or I'll kick you downstairs!"