How does XyWrite compare with Nota Bene?

Please pardon my intrusion, but I have some questions about XyWrite.

Specifically, how does XyWrite compare to Nota Bene, especially since
XyWrite had to remove some features because of their patent problems?
(About which I know practically nothing, BTW; if I'm wrong I'd appreciate
hearing that.)

I am a semi-retired semi-academic (spcom & psych) who writes in both formal
-- including academic and business -- and informal modes. I rely on Chicago
A & B and MLA a lot. On rare occasions I write in German but seldom need
non-English characters or attributes which I understand is a strength in
Nota Bene.

I am very familiar with MS Word which I use in Windows95 on a Cyrix 133mh
machine. Windows is okay, but I suspect from what I know at this point that
I would prefer the speed of the DOS version of either XyWrite or Nota Bene.
In fact speed, the ability to handle large text files, keyboard commands,
and bibliographic features are my primary reasons for considering either
XyWrite or Nota Bene. Am I on the right track?
I began word processing with WordStar (under CP/M; anyone here old enough to
remember that?) and have never been as comfortable with anything else as I
was with it. I was particularly fond of the keyboard commands that could be
made sans mouse.

Like most writers (typists?) I have very little need to insert graphics or
tables during the composition phase of my work.

I would also like to get some use from an old 286. Would it make sense to
use it with XyWrite? Or would it be stupid not to use the 133 in DOS mode,
with my 17-inch monitor and all the other modern comforts? For that matter,
is the Windows version of XyWrite as robust, quick and facile as the DOS
version? What are the trade-offs? Is the ability to use TT fonts and
graphics the only major difference between the DOS and Windows versions?

I occasionally publish my material, for which I use Ventura. I assume that,
being ASCII, text produced with XyWrite can be imported into Ventura without
tears.

(And yes, all of the I's in this missive bother me, too. Sorry.)

I would appreciate feedback from anyone experienced with both softwares, or
who knows how they compare. Recommendations, comments, biases, rants --
whatever. I would also appreciate hearing of any known comparisons in print
or on the 'Net.

I am not a subscriber so please correspond with me directly via my email
address. Thank you.

Chuck Henderson, ceh@xxxxxxxx