Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

On 2 Apr 2006, at 10:24, BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>   Does anyone know of an external hard drive that is compatible with Win
>98SE?

Lynn

I use a Porsche designed Lacie 60GB external mobile hard drive powered through the USB port under
Win98SE at home. Like you I prefer a crisp DOS screen for Xy4. The drive is about the size of a pack
of 30 cigarettes.

The only catch is that my PC only has a USB 1 port so transfers rates are relatively slow compared
to the USB 2 port on my work machine where the external drive is twice as fast as my internal drive.

I bought the Lacie about a year ago for the equivalent of $230. Since then prices have come down as
our exchange rate has improved and the 100GB costs about that now. The same range has drives bigger
than 100GB but they are not mobile in that they come with their own transformer and are physically
much larger. I use a 250GB one to backup my stuff and the 60GB to ferry between home and work.

The drives come FAT32 formatted so they can be used on both Win98 and WinXP machines.

I can also boast that I have two Porsches.

Otherwise Harry's suggestion of an external internal drive will also do the trick.

Jon Inggs

  Jon Inggs                           Telephone: (012) 429-4464
  Economics Dept                      Fax:      (012) 429-3433
  PO Box 392
  UNISA
  0003

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer.
Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.
≪≪gwavasig≫≫
≪≪ gwavasig ≫≫