Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

Another thing I did was to back up to my laptop with DOS LapLink, through a
serial port. The problem with that is my old version of DOS doesn't handle
long DOS names,

Did you try using XCOPY32? That preserves long file names.
There's probably a way to do it
without LapLink directly from DOS with a batch file and the right DOS
functions, but I haven't researched that yet.
The right DOS function is XCOPY32 or XCOPY (I think the latter also
preserves long file names). You have to acquaint yourself with the
switches, which you can do by commanding:

XCOPY32 /?
My wife uses a "one touch" external backup that works through the USB port. You just push a button on the external drive and it backs up. No mess, no fuss. But it's a little pricey ($200-$300).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx