Re: Why I find Windows 95's "DOS" unsatisfactory.

"   Well, there are commands missing which previous versions had. "Tree" is
" one I can think of, and I have an idea there are a few others. You also used to
" be able to type "help " or "fasthelp " to get
" information on switches, etc. to use with commands, and you can't do that with
" Windows 95's DOS commands. (Both the help and printed manuals in Windows 95 are
" totally hopeless - they really only cover the very things you can most easily
" find out by poking around.)

		Find a copy of Livingston and Straub's
		Windows 95 Secrets with CDROM, The entire
		700 page book was a CDROM Help file you
		could 'append' to Windows help

---- Missing DOS commands from Windows 95 were:
Chapter 17: Meet the New DOS...Same As the Old DOS

DOS commands that are no longer around

The following DOS commands did not come with Windows 95:

append	interlnk	recover
assign	intersvr	replace
backup	join	restore
comp	memcard	ramdrive.sys
dosshell	memmaker	romdrive.sys
edlin	mirror	share
ega.sys	msav	smartmon
fasthelp	msbackup	tree
fastopen	power	undelete
graftabl	print	unformat
graphics	print.sys	vsafe
help 	qbasic
	[hmm, not being formatted, but you get the idea. ds]

Some of these external DOS command files are stored
in the \Other\Oldmsdos folder on the Windows 95 source CD-ROM.
They are the MS-DOS 6.22 versions, and they havent been updated.

Copyright ) 1995-97 Brian Livingston and Davis Straub

----
"   Also, you cause a bit of trouble if you start trying to use disk utilities
" such as Norton's or XTree Gold. The inability to use these with Windows, even
" when in a DOS window, is to me a severe handicap and has crippled my computer
" use in the year and a half I've been using Windows. (I've always depended on
" these for managing my files and subdirectories, and think Windows Explorer is a
" pathetic substitute.) (Some of the Norton utilities freeze the computer; XTree
" Gold will work, but Windows issues warning messages that put me off and make me
" feel it would be dangerous to go ahead.)

	Instead of Explorer get Powerdesk which is much
	more useful.  There's a free download and a bargain
	price for the latest version at:
......... from the Notabene list .....
"
" I did mention last week that Powerdesk, which includes a very good
" PDFind module, now has a free version of 4.0. The Pro version at $19.95
" ($9.95 upgrade from earlier versions) adds some fancy toolbar and other
" features, but if you haven't yet tried Powerdesk as a replacement for
" Windows Explorer, you can now for free. The PDFind feature alone makes
" it worth it, but the vastly better file manager is what I use
" constantly. For free, it's a steal...
"
"    http://www.ontrack.com/PowerDesk/
"
" (Ontrack recently merged with Mijenix, owner of PowerDesk.)
"
"    Dorothy Day

	XTreeGold has been reverse cloned for Windows9x/NT and OS/2
	at

 Linkname: ZTreeWin File Manager (XTree compatible)
  Charset: iso-8859-1
   Server: Rapidsite/Apa-1.3.4 FrontPage
  Last Mod: Fri, 19 May 2000 02:38:54 GMT
    size: 140 lines
    mode: normal

	and well worth the small charge to get a copy.

	I use it in OS/2 all the time, and in the few times
	I use Windows, I have it open for quick work.