Re: RTF conversion and

Hmm. I just ran some experitments, and while things with equivalent IP
commands didn't disappear, they did not come out exactly right either. As
the original file I was using for a vile body had been formatted using
SaveStyle/UseStyle, I tried it both ways, first with the Styles, then
after CI /≪USSAMPLE≫/ ≪IP8di,4di,8di≫/, which was the actual embedded
IP. When there were two stacked, the second got an extra indent. This may
come from the fact that Xy formats work until you explicitly embed a
contradictory format, whereas Word/RTF/WordPerfect formats tend to be
more paragraph-oriented.

But I did have another line (which began with a tab, which should not
have been there if I was USing Styles), that did disapper.

The other thing you have to remember with Word is that all formatting is
interacting with normal.dot. There is a way to create other .dots, and
perhaps that would help, but I use Word so little, and under such
protest, that I've never looked into it.

I think it's too much to expect that heavy formatting is going to come
over from any application format to the other. (If SOMETHING could just
get "smart" apostrophes over, I'd be eternally grateful.) A better
appraoch, IMHO, is the one Leslie invented for CUP, where one embeds tags
specifying what an element is, and leaves the exact specs to the
designer. So you could begin each such section with
and end it with
, as HTML/XML does. Hint: If you UseStyles when writing (and so get a printout you can read), you can then simply CI to replace the ≪USthisstyle≫ with . Patricia