Re: Re Xy on XP--an amende honorable

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Another Good Thing about XP: I often shut down a system...
Don't. Just leave it running all the time.

Well, sorry, my environmental conscience must be a bit more
tender than yours. Think of all the greenhouse gases being
emitted by the power plants that are keeping all those PCs
running. Of course, maybe in Maine you have tidal power. If so,
apologies.
Now I see in a later post you say "a laptop"; probably true enough. But I'm talking 450 Watt PS mid-tower systems. They do gobble electricity.

Then too, at the paper, the office is only open three and a half
days a week. I cannot see leaving the systems (5, and sometimes a
6th) on, unused, for another 3 and a half. And at home, though I
do usually boot up most days, there is always the possibility of
a power outage. (I know: get a UPS. One of these days.)
You're right about leaving it on being best for the PC (assuming you're running Nt/W2K/XP--? Vista); 9x simply cannot do it; it gets into terminal bit-rot. For one thing, even 98SE doesn't really have all the hooks to interface properly with the ACPI. This box used to slow to a crawl (I mean the mouse felt as if it were moving through molasses) if one left it up and unattended. After I briefly installed XP (that was the first, trial, installation; I now have a permanent, activated one on a 2d hard drive), then Xandros Linux, however, that stopped. I'm assuming there was something in the bootloader that could "talk" to the ACPI circuits.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx