file conversions

     Have been reading a number of comments here about converting
     files between various word processing languages, and thought
     I'd add my 2 cents.

     We use XyWrite III+ under DOS to feed text files into Page
     Maker 4 under Windows for preparation of business/trade
     magazine pages.

     I have several corresponding editors who work in non-Xy3+
     languages. The one working with Describe in OS/2 sends me
     his files already converted for Xy3+, but the others submit
     their materials in the languages they prefer -- Word for
     Windows and Word Perfect for Windows, etc. One even works on
     a Mac, but his materials come through in "text" via
     CompuServe.

     A couple years ago I found a program -- Word for Word --
     that handles conversions very nicely. And I've tried to keep
     up with its upgrades, now including a Windows version. This
     software comes in versions labeled "Word for Word for
     XyWrite", "Word for Word for Word Perfect", etc. You do
     need to let the vendor know which language you prefer as
     your base. (Maybe this has changed for the Windows version,
     called "Word for Word Professional." I've forgotten.)

     The conversions are very clean -- no extraneous characters,
     no hidden control characters, etc. The translated codes can
     be a little unexpected (maybe 'cause I haven't learned
     those commands yet), but they are all in the familar Xy3+
     deltas.

     Word for Word is published by:

     Mastersoft
     6991 E. Camelback Rd., Suite A320