Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

At 12:20 AM 11/26/2007, you wrote:
That's the spirit. We'll beat this problem yet--even though for no reason. Of course, my wife wouldn't understand.

My wkssvc.dll is 129 kilobytes (this is for XP SP2). I can send it to you privately if you wish

The portable had wkssvc.dll for SP2, 129 KB, version 5.1.2600.2976. Copying it over to the desktop, which already had wkssvc.dll of the same size and specs, made no difference. The portable behaves normally with respect to networking issues, so I don't think yr file would help. Thanks anyway.

I went back to site where I first found the discussion of wkssvc.dll and srvsvc.dll (http://www.jasonhartman.net/2005/01/problem-starting-server-and.html; eudora="autourl"> http://www.jasonhartman.net/2005/01/problem-starting-server-and.html ), and there are other suggestions, which I will try. Uninstalling and reinstalling Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing seems like the most comprehensive of the suggestions, but there are other spot fixes too.

If nothing works, I suppose I can always spend an evening (or two) comparing the registry of the desktop to that of the portable to see if any of the identified critical files are listed differently or not listed in the desktop's registry.

Winter is a good time for this, since I tend to be inside, where there are more walls to bang my head against.

-pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie