Re: More questions about using Xywrite with a Mac

Eric asked:

> If I load XyWrite in Virtual PC mode, will my *.KBD file work as intended?

   Yes.

> And a tougher question: Will a Mac accept my Gateway or Focus keyboard
> hardware -- i.e. a keyboard with dual F keys (one set on the left, one set
> across the top)?

    Hmmm ---- Macs don't have the same keyboard connectors, and I
don't know if there are any convertors. I know that there are now
keyboards (M$ "natural" for one) with USB connectors that work with
IMacs, which have USB sockets. I just put a USB card in my Mac, but
haven't tried a keyboard. I would think that someone would probably come
out with a USB-to-keyboard adaptor soon, they've got USB to serial, USB
to parallel, and soon a USB to SCSI (although that sounds lame), and
lots of people are now using PC mice and trackballs with their Macs thru
the USB port. and the aforementioned M$ USB for windoze keyboards.
    My new keyboard that I'm just starting to learn to use is a
Twiddler by HandiKey. It's a one-handed chording keyboard and mouse
combined that a lot of people at MIT who are developing wearable
computers are now using -- some of them get 60-80wpm one-handed. I'd be
happy with 35wpm. I want to use it in my left hand and use a Wacom
graphics tablet with my right (I'm normally right-handed), but haven't
hooked the Twiddler to my Mac yet since it requires a home-made cable to
do so.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx
http://harmon.bml.usouthal.edu