Re: Wikipedia entry on XyWrite

Patricia's woes remind me: what happened to the idea I heard a couple of
years ago about a new technology of miles-wide "hot spots" that were going
to be available Real Soon Now? I forget what it's called, but it was going
to make it trivially easy to supply wireless broadband in every burg and
hamlet.
the paper, saying Verizon wasn't bothering with maintenance of the regular phone lines, it was so busy rolling out FIOS. (Which, by the by, I am reliably informed, goes out if you have a power outage. And while there's a battery backup that gets installed in your cellar, it only lasts 8 hours. Hereabouts, one can be without power for days. FIOS also has issues with emergency response services. And it's dear!)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx