Re: Win7 and XP

Hello Jordan,

I have not tried all the possible combinations myself, and there are caveats, e.g. you have to choose between VirtualPC XP mode Win7 or VirtualPC 2007 64-bit (a complete uninstall of XP mode is necessary if you try VirtualPC 2007), VirtualBox and VirtualPC 2007 64-bit can coexist, but cannot be run at the same time, if hardware virtualization is enabled. I am running Win2000 with hardware virtualization enabled in VirtualBox and MS-DOS and Win 3.1x in VirtualPC 2007 with hardware virtualization disabled concurrently without problems. I very much like VirtualBox W2K which has great additions and seamless windowing support in Win7, I use the shared folder approach for information sharing between systems which is very good in VirtualBox, and I have a HP Jetdirect network printer attached (there is no LPT1 support in VirtualBox).

VirtualPC 2007 download 32-bit and 64-bit versions available:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24439
more links at:
http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/default.htm

VirtualPC 2004 additions that can be installed from a DOS command line, see my page:
http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/utility.html
under:
DOWNLOAD http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/dosadd.zip Installing MS Virtual PC and Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS.
Includes installation instructions and a modified DOSADD.BAT compatible with MS-DOS.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

Hi Kari,

Just wanted to make sure that I understood you.  To reiterate, you are saying that either VirtualBox or VMWare can be installed *alongside* XP Mode (which I think may have today's MS version of VPC as a pre-requisite: they seemed to call for installation in tandem), without conflicts ?  Are you sure about this ?  If so, I can try that.

As to  "VirtualPC 2007 with DOS additions from VPC 2004 and MS-DOS and Win 3.1x for DOS box windowing support", I don't know where to obtain all of these items at this point in time, particularly those mentioned after VPC 2007.  Do you have any (still viable) download links you can suggest for these ?