Win 7 problem

I suppose I could call MS support, but perhaps someone here knows the
answer to this.
Running Xy in Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (note, not 64bit, this is an older,
just 32 bit version of Win 7), Xy functions normally with the unbelievable
exception that the shifting keys don't operate at all. When I run IDKEY.PM,
there's no response to hitting the control key (doesn't go to Table=CTRLX),
and I see the scan code on the comments line up top showing numbers above
20,000. But, strangely, if I hit, say, ctrl-a, it goes to the unshifted a
(Table= ).

VA/NV $CP shows code page 437. Is this an ANSI thing? What gives?

Thanks.