Re: ASCII

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Peter Evans wrote:

> Stephen Moore's term of "'streaming' structure" for Xy (and HTML,
> WordStar, Ventura, etc.) is his personal and tentative answer ...

Definitely personal and definitely tentative. The obvious occurred
to me (as always) immediately after hitting the Send key: These
formats are all examples of *tagged* files, the most cross-platform
example being HTML. Your text streams along and becomes bold
and then becomes normal again under control of the tags. Formats
of the tags may vary, but they're all still tags.

What escapes me is a "Yeah, that's the ticket" name for the other
style, where the formatting info is separate from the text stream.
At a guess, it seems to be coded as "Goto location xxx and make
it bold 11-pt WingDings up to location yyy," regardless of what
text resides at these locations. Feedback from someone who
actually understands how the Mushysoft Blurb format works
would be appreciated.

BTW, take a look at a Samna Word (or whatever Lotus now calls
it) file through an ASCII viewer for a really byzantine setup.
It's more ASCII than Wordish, but I haven't yet been able to
figure out how to bash one of these into shape without a converter
(i.e., just using XyWrite).

Regards,
Stephen