Re: Programming challenge: Undo

Robert, two reactions. Re the keystroke problem, couldn't you record
let us say 100 keystrokes, then force a backup, and start over?
And the one potential problem with a timed backup: if you are writing
slowly, a significant event may be lost.
On the other hand, if it is an external process (what a brilliant
idea - - I had completely overlooked the fact that we are working in
a multitasking environment!) and given that we have almost infinite
reserves of disk space, there could be so many permissible backups
that it wouldn't be a problem.
Thinking about such a typical undo action as reversing a few text
actions - - - surely this is usually done with some kind of keystroke
recording? It would be interesting to know . . . . .