Re: Programming challenge: Undo

does up to
998 levels of UnDo|ReDo, which ought to be enough for anybody.
And is completely unobtrusive.  Zero CPU consumption, and fast.

That really is pretty amazing, given everything - - the age of the program, the fact that it was never set up to do this, etc. etc.

Robert, isn't there a sort of basic keyboard recorder undo mechanism in XyWrite?

If you type the word 'anything' and then backspace over it, without doing anything else, 'undelete', instead of presenting you with its customary menu, will simply play back the deleted letters, exactly in place.

All of this makes me interested in the history of the undo command. Where did it come from? Who thought of it first? Where was it first implemented? How did it permutate? It has a kind of Mac-feel to it -- - did it come from Xerox Parc?

The Wikipedia entry on undo has some slightly interesting links, one of which touches on the interesting question of saved undos, claiming, madly it seems to me, that saved undos should not take up significant space.

Robert, one last throught.

In the program Fontographer (the ultimate predecessor of Freehand and Illustrator), there are three layers in which you can work: foreground, background, and guideline layer. Each layer has entirely separate undo. The more modern successor program Fontlab does not have this facility - - undo is a literal simplistic model which even includes as an undoable event the act of cursor selection. Very bad thinking. I'm wondering if the Fontographer model might not help somewhere as you are working through the XyWrite issues.

I want to bring up another serious issue. I am typing this in Eudora. I just had to use undo because some accidental keyboard/trackpad stroke caused a sentence to be deleted. It was a complex chain of events - - something like 'select sentence, replace with the letter K, then move cursor up' -- all over with in a millisecond.

That's where all of us who use Windows programs really love Windows style immediate character undo.

The significant thing to keep in mind with XyWrite, though, is that you don't make this kind of mistake in XyWrite, so you don't find yourself often needing this kind of undo.

In other words, Windows (and Mac!) undo is partly so necessary because of the too frequent misbehaviour of the entire software/hardware model. XyWrite breaks that by not being so intimately hooked up with the hardware.

What I'm getting at is just a feeling that what I thought needed priority probably shouldn't have priority. - - sorry for rambling on so!