Re: Xy'd NB

Michael wrote,
I think so, Harry. And in my exploring I keep turning up...well...if not bugs then bacteria. For example, to make the NB screen resemble XY, you can View-->toggle to "Full Window." Make the mistake of quitting without toggling back to standard view and I get

Emacs!

Literally? Where does that come from?
the next time I try to call the program up, and the only remedy is to reinstall. Reading the NB archive, I find lots of traffic on general protection faults, all with slightly different addresses, and none with remedies.
Another thing I noticed, NB does not like ctrlx keyboard tables or calls (I wish someone would remind me what the heck we put the X after ctrl in the kbd file in the first place.)
I recall that it produces better behavior when you start departing from the
standard .kbd file.
Certainly there might be something in my overall setup. Robert reports no problems importing his XY kbd into NB and I can't imagine mine is more jury-rigged than his.
It's easy to curse NB as cranky; maybe it is. But it's a good alternative,
and V8 at last lets you customize screen colors, has a decent draft mode
and so on.
I gave up on NB 8 because of such problems--especially the fact that
several of the alt keys have to function as Windows alt keys, taking me up
to the menus. Robert suggested a workaround, but it meant giving up on
using alt keys in NB, and that was not what I wanted.
One thing I love about Xy is its solidity and predictability. Others have
had Out of Memory problems, over the years, but I never got even them,
except when writing very long XPL programs. In my philosophic writing, I
don't want to live in fear of losing even a paragraph that I have just
written. I guess I could get around that by having it autosave every
minute, but still the crashes break the creative flow.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx