Re: printer error messages

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:25:17 -0500

> it insists on offering the Administrative share ($e,
> not plain e:, shared as Mercydat), for which the password has
> been assigned by Windows--and I therefore don't know it and
> cannot enter it.

Shares aren't assigned passwords, neither by MS nor by users.
Users have passwords. Just enter the current user's pass on the
other (remote) machine, or the Administrator's pass. In other
words, if you're Jane, and you want to access something on
Dick's C: drive, then on Jane's machine you enter Dick's current
password to get access to Dick. Or you can use Dick's
Administrator's password. Think of it as presenting your
credentials, your "right" to use that machine. Or just think of
yourself as an imposter, posing as Dick, whose machine it is.
Now, as a practical matter, if you administer all machines on
your LAN, you should create a user in the Administrator's group
whose pass is identical on all machines. Keeps it simple, and
it also overcomes the problem of 9x machines that demand that
both Dick and Jane have the same pass.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx