Re: Word 7 and WP7 conversion tool

Robert Holmgren observed:
>>> I read somewhere that KEYVIEW does faxes
>>> too, which must mean that it has some sort of OCR capability.
>I assumed that this meant that KEYVIEW extracts the text in a fax into a
>document format, implying the necessity of OCR to get from DCX or TIFF
>(dumb pixels) to text.

Not necessarily. As I said, I haven't tried it, but it wouldn't surprise me
if it merely converted the fax to some other graphic format you might
prefer. I'm going to try an experiment -- doing a "text file" in TIFF with a
bit-mapping graphics program, and see what KEYview does with it.

>> Do you know of any other
>> way to do it -- except of to have the files saved at the source as a format
>> XW can handle?
>
>Nope. But neither would I be surprised if the two-stage process results in
>degradation of overall format complexity, or added "noise".

I haven't seen that, but the text files I've used are not format-heavy.
Alignment and
so far, font choices (italics, bold) have survived.

> On the other hand,
>maybe it will work just fine. How much does KEYVIEW cost?

$49.95 on optical disk from the publisher, extra for 3.5" dfiskettes. $30-40
"on the street," if it's to be found there.

Lee Hickling