Re: Saving FE as FE

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne"
 on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:58:31 -0400

Martin, when you write a "character 254" in your XyWrite texts,
you are entering a 3-byte 254 -- period. Which is FFx 46x 45x,
or "{255}FE", or {255}{70}{69}decimal. No way can you enter a
1-byte 254. I suggest you write a short one-line document
containing this "254", then LIST it in hex view (in DOS, "list
filename", then Alt-H). Or just enter a "254" in any doc,
put your cursor on top of it, and command "V3", which
will display the value(s) of the underlying character.

That ought to explain the behavior of your external program,
which (hopefully) accepts more than one character on the left
side of its conversion spec -- if it does, then it should be an
easy fix. It occurs to me that we should have, in U2, a program
that does a universal (filemask) search and replace for any
string, which I think I'll write (if we don't have one already
-- don't recall whether we do). Then, with a single command,
you could change 254 to 253 in just one, or a filemask set, or
*.* (all), of your documents. 253 would be a good char to use
for your purpose. The only choice worse than 254 would be 0 or
26 -- although 255 (and several others) would be equally bad.
Read CTRLCHAR.TXT (http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/ctrlchar.zip)
if you want background on this...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx