Re: Conversion problems re: TEXTOUT.FLT

Date sent:   	Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:21:53 EST
Send reply to: 	xywrite@xxxxxxxx
From:      	Robert Holmgren
To:       	xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject:    	Re: Conversion problems re: TEXTOUT.FLT

> Hmmm. How, exactly, are you going about this? Are you launching the W4W
> filters from the command line, and if so, do you realize that it is a
> two-stage process? I mean, first you convert from XyWrite to an
> intermediate format, then you convert from the intermediate format to the
> target (Word v6). There is a page of info at XyWWWeb dedicated to
> describing what you need to do; search for "Freestanding Use" and click on
> the link.
>
> If you're doing it via "Save As" off the "File" menu, have you edited
> TEXTOUT.FLT to reflect the addition of the Hungarian filters? Changes
> must be made to TEXTOUT.FLT!

I'm doing it from within XyWin (Save as...) usiing what I think is an
unmodified (from the install) TEXTOUT.FLT file. The file has 34
entries covering Xy, ASCII, WordPerfect, MS Word, Word for
Windows, AmiPro, Framework, WordStar, Multimate, IBM RFT,
Final Form, Navy DIF, and Microsoft RFT. The file dates on the
filters are all 1992 and 1993; the newest are the W4W44s (Word
for Windows) from July/Aug 93.

I did download the Hungarian filters some time back, but did not
end up editing the TEXTOUT.FLT because I don't understand the
file structure--I've looked at it with an ASCII and Hex viewer, and am
confused by the characters which appear just before the pair of
dashes preceding the filter name. I have the Hungarian filters
elsewhere on my system, in the directory where unused downloads
go to expire...

Best,

   K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac/default.htm
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET