Re: Tilde

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Sat, 9 Mar
2002 18:52:02 -0500

> If
> ALL your XyWrite files (Editor.exe, startup.int, etc.) are in Program
> Files, which to DOS is PROGRA~1, Editor.exe cannot find them, because
> it's reading the tilde with its default value of the soft hyphen.

I just put EDITOR.EXE and STARTUP.INT in C:\PROGRA~1. Editor loaded, it found
STARTUP.INT, and it executed STARTUP.INT. So I doubt that your interpretation
of what's happening on your machine is correct ("because it's reading the tilde
with its default value of the soft hyphen"). You're saying that Editor can't
even find STARTUP.INT right away -- even though it's in the current directory,
the same directory as Editor, namely d:\PROGRA~1?? When you start Editor, are
you also situated in d:\PROGRA~1? You should be. If you launch from a
Shortcut, is the "Working" directory also d:\PROGRA~1? Sure something else
isn't going on, for example, absence of a LOGIN file?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx