Re: Backup--OT

Bill,
Re-assessing: it's not either/or. I can do RAID-1 to the drive inside the port replicator AND continue to use the external dupe device, manually implemented, from time to time.
Any thoughts on the following scheme? 1. I dupe the whole internal SSD to
another SSD. 2. I put the main SSD back inside the Thinkpad and the duped
SSD inside the drive bay in the port replicator. 3. Using the disk utility,
I mirror to the duped drive just the C: portion of the original SSD, I
don't mirror the partition labeled SYSTEM_DRV. I just leave it alone. Seems
to me that would protect the second drive's SYSTEM_DRV partition and still
provide a bootable backup of C:, corrupted or not.
That would protect against a physical failure of the first SSD. The fact
that it cannot protect against data corruption would be handled in the
multiple means I'm already employing.
The cost is close to zero and there's no downside, so why not gain some, if
not total, protection?

--Harry
Hmmm. You make a good point. I'll have to think about it. I saw a youtube on Thunderbod with SSD, and the Mac booted in 12 seconds over it.
Harry, I wouldn't do software RAID. I am convinced there are problems. Also, if there is a disk corruption problem, it will simply be duplicated - - on either software or hardware RAID 1. (It's for that reason that you can run chkdsk on a RAID 1 volume, but not on a RAID 0, 5, etc.). In the end, I prefer the system I have, where ShadowProtect does incremental backups every 180 minutes, so I cannot lose more than that. Once I have figured out how to boot SP's recovery environment on this new computer, I will be happy. I am about to try a USB stick boot.
I asked an engineer friend of mine at LaCie (now Seagate) if there was a
speed penalty when using a (properly configured) external Tbolt drive as
a boot drive, and he replies, none whatever. This may also be true for
USB 3 - - I have to verify.