XYWIN CUSTOMI

XY-> Re the Windows character set, I'd hate to see xyWin shift from one rather
 -> unfortunate choice to another. To maintain compatibility with the original
 -> Mac QXP, when Quark ported the app to Windows it migrated not only the Mac
 -> keyboard map but the character set, while recognizing the Windows ANSI set.

annie, annie:

PC Quark xtags--Quark's native text format--is Windows ANSI. If
you have any doubts, take a PC Quark-generated xtag document and
port it as Windows ANSI into WP for Win 6.1. Quotes, em dashes,
etc., come in beautifully.

Your own printer file definitions, which you gave a while ago
here, include the Windows ANSI assignments for typographic
quotes, not the Mac.

Whether the Windows ANSI set is fortunate or unfortunate, it is
the basis for communicating with other Windows programs. I
recently convinced a publishing department to switch from
WordPerfect to Microsoft Word, because WordPerfect's redlining is
primitive at best. Sure, I'd've preferred to see it switch to
XyWrite, but in my dealing with all types of files from all types
of word processors, compatibility is a major factor, and
XyWrite isn't 100% in accepting Windows ANSI.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx