Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

Harry:

>Guess who "gave" MS the "near-monopoly"?

The US is lucky or unlucky enough to have a legal system that puts the
resolution of such questions beyond guesswork.

>It was not a Government 5-year Plan that did it.

Right. Yes. Thank you. We know that. Some of us also happen to think
that there are other forces beside The Noble Individual and The Monster
Evil Government. I'd add that pursuing such an argument (on whichever
side) is, however worthwhile, Xy-irrelevant -- but Walter Jowers (Punch)
would surely pop up and hit me (Judy) with a big stick. And probably he'd
be right to. (Still, please don't hit me, Walter!) But really, haven't we
gone over this one already?

Rene, you live in Tokyo. Harry doesn't, but I do, so I'll save him some work.

>You mean, we can go and by a PC
>*without* Windows installed? Can you tell us where?

Yes. The last time I looked in "Bless" in Akihabara (Tokyo's computer
souk), they were selling PCs without Windows or any other OS, as well as
PCs with. "Bless" http://www.bless.co.jp/ is not unusual (and neither does
its name seem bizarre to the innocent Japanese customer). Also in
Akihabara, "Purattohoomu" aka "Platform" (sorry, no URL offhand) is well
known for selling PCs with alternatives to Windows: OS/2, Linux, BeOS, etc.

Now I retreat to my bunker.
Peter Evans