Re: Voice Recognition

My use of NaturallySpeaking to dictate a draft of a philosophy article was
a failure. In this case, I think the problem was that I am too unfamiliar
with the subject I was writing on (esthetics), so I can't just roll out
stuff from the subconscious.
Also, watching the occasional errors appear on the screen was a
distraction. I still think voice recognition would be good for drafting
things that you *can* just blurt out and get usable material from. But I'd
recommend not even looking at the screen. It would be good to
simultaneously make a recording so you can hear what you actually said to
correct what the voice recognition program output. You get weird
"interpretations," such as "Oregon" when I said "art" and "design right"
when I said "Ayn Rand." I think NaturallySpeaking does some audio recording
itself, but I'm not sure. But digital recorders are cheap and have
effectively unlimited storage (hundreds of hours).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx