Re: XyWrite and TeX

Of course it makes sense to recommend XyWrite. Those people who are having
trouble getting it to run under XP are simply not following the
instructions that have been given time and again on this site.

Learn them! Follow them! Love them!
Leslie, the instructions do not work perfectly for all systems. I have had
a nightmare with XP on my new computer. And because it's a laptop, working
in full-screen is not a good option (too slow to switch back to windowed
mode for using other apps).
After a lot of sweat and brow-scratching, I have most of my problems
solved. But the cursor is too slow (even in full screen). Characters lag
just a bit behind my typing, too.
XP with XyDOS on a laptop (and I have the latest 3.2 Gig HP) is, well, just
satisfactory.
I've downloaded a trial of VPC to see if the answer is to run Xy inside a
Win9x emulation. I'm also curious about Nota Bene, which at least I was
finally able to install under XP (which I couldn't under Win98, but that
was something weird about my particular setup).
What I can understand is why the average user puts up with all the bad new
software. My wife suggests that most people not only restrict themselves to
Word, Outlook, and I.E. (never doing anything unusual), but they do not
customize anything and they just take things as they come, as if they were
facts of nature. If, in XP, it takes 8 steps through menus just to search
for a file, and if a little doggie comes on the screen, well, that's just
the way it is, they feel.
This is wholly alien to me. I know it's an old canard, but going back to
the mid-80s, why and how did IBM put over the change from the XT keyboard
to the AT (the removal of the function keys on the left and the putting of
ctrl and alt in absurd positions).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx