Re: [Off Topic] Windows Genuine Advantage

At 12:18 AM 8/11/2006, J R FOX wrote:
This is what I had bookmarked:
Some addenda:
http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/
This does not work on all machines. I think later versions of the WGA module are grayed out in this particular dialog.
http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/use-automatic-updates-to-get-updates.htm
This is for the PILOT version of WGA-Notify. It's not clear why you can't remove the later version, but many sites say you cant.
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/microsoft_genuine_ad.html
This no longer works at all. This, I gather, from Scot's Newsletter, as useful a site as Windows Secrets, is one of the most reliable set of instructions http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/83.htm#wgaoff. You'll note you need the WGA validation patch to get the security updates; you don't need the WGA notification patch. The larger question is: Is all this worth the time and trouble? Our university IT service, including the SYSOP in my shop, downloads all patches, the WGA notification patches included. At home, instead, I try to keep my machine as lean as possible, which is to say free of necessary or problematic programs. For me all this is a question of expediency: I try, given the limits of my knowledge, to keep problem code off the machine. Limited knowledge...what I know is what I have time to read. Much of the early material on WGA, especially that on Windows Secrets, indicated that the software caused problems. So I paused before installing it and tried to read more. (Hence my question to the list.) Now, according to the latest writing on the subject, the second version of the WGA software is less problematic. So I may just go ahead and install it and move on. Vista beta testers report that it's already built in to that software anyway. Thanks for the many responses here. The POV's were diverse and interesting, and very useful. Michael Norman