Re: Startup Messages

** Reply to message from "John H. Kessel"  on Fri, 04 Aug
2006 17:44:11 -0400

> On startup, two messages flash across the screen:
>      "Invalid Default Settin 1"

Hi John. Delighted that you finally "made it" to this harbor! Carl gave you a
bunch of solid, self-help tips and techniques for debugging problems in your
initialization files. There's nothing quite as important or basic to get under
your belt. Plus, he's introducing you to several U2 facilities. However, I
don't much like the text of your error message ("Invalid Default Settin 1"), if
that's what it really says -- *usually* those messages are intelligible,
whereas this one is garbage. It suggests to me that there *might* be a stray
character or a formatting error in either STARTUP.INT or SETTINGS.DFL, rather
than (or in addition to) a genuinely "invalid setting". Therefore, you might
wish to post (attach to a message) both those files here, so that others can
take a look. Be sure to *attach* the disk-based files -- not copy & paste the
contents into a text msg.

BTW, I don't think that you want to load *both* POST-HP4.PRN and GENERIC.PRN!
The one overrides the other. If you've installed the lj485en driver, which is
a Postscript driver, then you want to LOAD POST-HP4.PRN only. Also, FYI, there
*are* ways to get a Postscript printer like the HP LJ1300 to work with a USB
cable under XyWrite, but I imagine that a parallel cable is simpler, since you
have that option.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx