Re: Printing with XP Pro and HP LaserJet

Two or three HP techies worked with me. The successful solution was based on two things: substitution of a parallel cable between the computer and printer for the existing USB cable, and use of a specific HP printer driver. Neither element alone would permit printing. Together they worked fine.
In computers, anything is possible glitchwise, but I find it hard to believe that ordinary solutions to printing from Xy to a USB printer wouldn't work for you. The problem was probably that the people you consulted didn't know how to work with Xy. For instance, could you print from DOS, say via the EDIT program? Did they tell you about NET USE? There is also the Ghostscript solution (see http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/#PriPo under TYP). Within XyWrite itself, two printer files are loaded:
POST-HP4.PRN and GENERIC.PRN.
Not exactly. Either one or the other is loaded; both are available to be loaded, as determined by the SETP command. In the absence of commands, whichever is first in SETTINGS.DFL is loaded as the default (at least I think that's right).
Finally, I have a whole series of .PRN files from 1994. Are there any more recent .PRN files? (I'm just curious about this. As long as my printer works, I don't want to change anything.)
No. I don't recall anything even that late. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx