FF32E

Peter,

> But List shows something more bizarre than hex 0D or 0A. In fact, what
> appears as a period on screen is the three-byte string hex FF 32 45.
> I haven't had the time to poke into your documentation in ctrlchar to
> figure out why Xy would display that sequence as a period.

here is why XyWrite displays the sequence "FF 32 45" as a period.
1. FF identifies a three byte sequence; the two bytes that follow are the
hex representation of the wanted character.
2. 32hex is 50dec, i.e. ASCII "2"; 45hex is 69dec, ie ASCII "E".
3. Finally, "2E" (hex) equals 46dec, ie ASCII "." (period).

> It may be worth pointing out that the file comes from a txt file probably
> saved by, what else, M$Word...

I never had it represented this way by M$Word. But it's true that I don't
use Word so hard.

Adriano Ortile
ortile@xxxxxxxx