Re: Next Sentence (NS) glitch; was Re: More on Tame

** Reply to message from Xywrite3plus@xxxxxxxx on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:07:33 EST

Peter:

> what appears as a period
> on screen is the three-byte string hex FF 32 45. I haven't had the time to
> poke into your documentation in ctrlchar to figure out why Xy would display
> that sequence as a period.

Toggle your DOS lister from hex display (FF 32 45 ) back to normal display (
2E). It's diabolically simple: XyQuest decided early on to write these wierd
three-byte characters as the hexadecimal value of their one-byte counterpart.
Bytes two and three of the three-byter are "2" and "E", which is the hex value
of a one-byte period. The first character is Ascii-255 = FFhex, which displays
normally as a convenient blank. When you look at raw code, the three byters
literally identify themselves -- very handy.

Why a 3-byte code would affect funcs NextSentence and PreviousSentence beats
me, though. I don't recall seeing that.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx